Another ripe banana recipe to add to the repertoire. This one comes in the form of banana bread with a sweet and crunchy cinnamon streusel topping.
Unlike my traditional go-to banana bread recipe, this loaf has Greek yogurt and sunflower oil incorporated as the moist-makers and wholewheat flour and cornflour for texture.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 3/4 cups wholewheat flour
- 1/4 cup cornflour or more wholewheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the crumb topping:
- 1/2 cup flour plain or whole wheat
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- Heat the oven to 170°C. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf tin.
- Whisk together all wet ingredients in a large bowl. Sprinkle flour, cornflour (or extra flour), cinnamon, baking powder and salt on top. Gently fold in, do not overmix!
- For the crumb topping, place the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until crumbs form.
- Place the batter in the prepared loaf tin and evenly sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.