Spiced cod flatbreads with preserved lemon and avocado salsa, pul biber onions and harissa lime yoghurt
A vibrant dish of aromatic spiced cod with fragrant yoghurt and zesty salsa all wrapped up in a crisp, garlicky flatbread. The flavours going on here are insane. Zesty freshness from the lemony salsa, velvety cod in delicate spices, garlicky charred bread, zingy crunchy onions, creamy avocado, peppery heat, I could go on but I won’t hold you from the recipe any longer. This takes a bit of time to prepare as there are a few stages but it is in no way difficult and the result is so worth it!
You can use turmeric powder if you can’t find fresh turmeric root but it is quite readily available in most large supermarkets and gives a beautiful flavour, not to mention the health benefits.
Similarly, you can substitute paprika for the Aleppo pepper but if you can, try and source it as it has a mild fruitiness that is particularly tasty in this dish.
For the spiced cod:
- 2 tbsp Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 inch piece fresh turmeric, peeled and finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 300g cod loin, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the flatbreads:
- 30g/1oz unsalted butter
- 175g/6oz plain flour
- 100ml/3½fl oz semi-skimmed milk
- 2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the harissa and lime yoghurt:
- 280g Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 heaped tbsp rose harissa
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salsa:
- small handful dill, roughly chopped
- 4 preserved lemons, deseeded and very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp barberries (optional)
- ½ ripe avocado, finely diced
- 2 tsp nigella seeds
For the pul biber onions:
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 heaped tsp of pul biber/Aleppo pepper chilli flakes
- To make the spiced cod, mix 2 tablespoons of the yoghurt with the turmeric and crushed garlic. Season well with salt and pepper and marinate the cod for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make the flatbreads, melt the butter and combine with the remaining ingredients, except for the oil. Mix until a firm dough has formed. Wrap in cling film and leave to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- To make the salsa, mix the ingredients together in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- To make the pickled onions, combine all the ingredients in a plastic container with a lid. Put the lid on and shake until the onions lose their rigidity. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- To make the harissa and lime yoghurt, mix everything together, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Divide the dough into four and roll into thin rounds. Preheat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Brush the hot pan with the oil and grill the flatbreads for about 45–60 seconds on each side until lightly browned.
- To make the cod, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat, add the cod and brown on all sides until just cooked through.
- To serve, divide the cod between 4 flatbreads and dollop a generous amount of the yoghurt on top. Add the salsa, some onions and sprinkle over extra Aleppo chilli flakes or nigella seeds.