When university exams loom, what better way to procrastinate than with a spot of baking? While they’re in the oven you might possibly be able to fit 5 minutes of revision in for which you must be rewarded with incredible baked goods. The muffins are tender and soft yet still rich and bursting with spiced pumpkin goodness. The cinnamon sugar coating adds a nice crunch to each bite while the Biscoff filling is simply heaven. There are always retakes.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (mashed pumpkin)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Biscoff spread
Cinnamon sugar coating:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, pumpkin, and milk. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
For the filling:
- Pour 1 tablespoon of batter into each case. Top with a 1/2 teaspoon of Biscoff. Top with about another 1 teaspoon of batter.
- Bake for 12 to 13 minutes, or until the batter is set. Let cool.
For the coating:
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Dip each muffin into the melted butter then coat in the cinnamon sugar. Serve.