What do you do when you you’re going to stay with the folks for a few weeks and you need to use up all your odds and ends from the fridge? Chop it all up and bung it in an eggy, cheesy mix of course.
This is a very simple dish that can be served hot or cold, as a snack or a meal. Use whatever combination of fillings you have. I bought quark by accident having never tried or heard of it before. I was actually after a garlic and herb cream cheese and, as usual, was paying more attention to lining up songs on my Spotify playlist than what was going in the basket but it actually gives a lovely texture and flavour to the quiche even though it is fat free.
- 100g bacon, visible fat removed, chopped
- ½ red and ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 50g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 large eggs
- 150g garlic and herb quark
- 50g Extra-mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Place a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the bacon and fry for a few minutes then add the peppers, mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the peppers and mushrooms have softened. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 190°C/fan 170°C. Spoon the bacon mixture into an ovenproof baking dish.
- Mix together the eggs, quark and seasoning then spoon over the bacon mixture.
- Top with the grated cheddar and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until just set.