In case you couldn’t tell, I have a bit of a craving for chillies at the moment. Dragon chicken is an Indo-Chinese dish that definitely delivers on this front and consists of battered chicken stir fried in a spicy chilli sauce. The sauce has a lot of flavour from the garlic, ginger and soy sauce while the dried red chillies deliver a fiery kick. You can adjust the amount of chillies and chilli paste based on your taste. If you like a milder dish, you will want to use significantly less but then you won’t really be making dragon chicken.
This is quite a dry dish. The sauce should be just enough to coat the chicken so if you want more then, by all means, double the sauce ingredients. The chilli paste can be bought readymade but is easily made by soaking dried red chillies in hot water and then grinding to a paste. They give the dish an amazing kick. If you are not a spice fan then this recipe is probably not for you. If however, you can’t get enough of it, read on.
- 500g Boneless Chicken Breast (cut into thin strips)
- Coriander leaves or Spring Onion for garnishing (finely chopped)
- Oil for Deep frying
- 2 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Red Chilli Paste (ground dry red chilli)
- 1 Egg White
- ¼ – ½ cup Plain Flour
- ¼ cup Cornflour
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 3 Dry Red Chillies
- 4 Tbsp Cashews, broken into small pieces
- 1 large Onion, sliced thinly
- 1 Bell Pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tbsp Red Chilli Paste (ground up dry red chilli)
- 1 Tbsp Dark Soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Take chicken in a bowl and add all the marination ingredients. Mix well and let it marinate for 15 minutes. Now heat some oil for deep-frying. When the oil is hot drop the chicken in oil and fry till golden. Drain and set aside.
- Now heat oil in a frying pan. Add in dry red chilli and cashews and fry till the cashew turn golden brown.
- Now add in onions and bell peppers and toss well in the oil.
- Add in ginger garlic paste and sauté for a min.
- Now add in red chilli paste, soy sauce, tomato ketchup, salt, sugar and mix well.
- Cook this for a couple of mins till the water evaporates and sauce thickens.
- Now add in the fried chicken and toss well in the sauce. Add in chopped coriander or spring onion and mix well.
- Serve hot.