Something a bit different from your regular marinara, this meatball dish only takes about 30 minutes to whip up and is comfort food to the max.
- 1 lb (450g) minced turkey
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto (or any pesto you like)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tablespoon basil pesto (or any pesto you like)
- 2/3 cup (160ml) sour-cream
- 1 1/4 cup (300ml) chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cornflour mixed with one teaspoon water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, parmesan, pesto, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic, salt, and pepper. With clean hands, gently work the mixture together until it is well combined. Shape into approximately 12 balls and transfer to a plate.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Brown the meatballs until golden and cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté minced garlic until fragrant and slowly add the sour cream while whisking. Heat through on medium heat, keep stirring slowly. Add chicken stock, cornflour, basil pesto, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Keep cooking on medium-low heat for about 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until smooth.
- Put the chicken meatballs back into the skillet and heat through for a couple of minutes, coating with the creamy pesto sauce. Serve with spaghetti and more parmesan and basil for good measure. Enjoy!