What’s not to like about chocolate, custard and bread? I’ll tell you. Nothing.
I know it is only January but yes, hot cross buns line the bakery isles already and these chocolate and salted caramel versions from Tesco are no exception. Ever a sucker for the end of isle specials, I found that a few packs had made their way into my shopping bags. And what better way to enjoy them than baked up in a wonderfully gooey, fluffy and light chocolate studded custard? Again, nothing.
Ridiculously easy and ridiculously tasty. Give it a go.
- 6 chocolate and salted caramel hot cross buns
- 25g butter
- 75g dark chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 250ml milk
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 170°C, 150°C Fan.
- Cut the hot cross buns in half and butter the cut sides, sprinkle with half of the chocolate chips, sandwich together again and place in a baking dish.
- Beat the egg milk, sugar, salt and vanilla together and pour over the buns. Scatter with the remaining chocolate chips and bake for 30 minutes or until just set.
- Serve with custard or ice cream.