These vegetarian leek and cheese sausages are delicious and full of flavour. Perfect comfort food.
- 25g/1oz butter
- 115g/4oz leeks, trimmed, finely sliced (prepared weight)
- 175g/6oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 150g/5oz Caerphilly cheese or Welsh Cheddar, finely grated
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp English mustard
- ½ tsp flaked sea salt
- 5 tbsp sunflower oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- For the sausages, melt the butter in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the leek gently for 8-10 minutes, or until very soft but not coloured.
- Put 100g/3½oz of the breadcrumbs, the parsley, thyme and cheese in a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined. Beat the egg yolks with the mustard, salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper in a separate bowl.
- Remove the frying pan from the heat and tip the leeks into the bowl with the breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolks and mix together well with a large wooden spoon until well combined. Divide the leek mixture into eight portions and roll into sausage shapes. Place the sausages onto a tray lined with cling film.
- Whisk the egg whites lightly in a bowl with a large metal whisk until just frothy. Sprinkle 40g/1½oz breadcrumbs over a large plate. Dip the sausages one at a time into the beaten egg and roll in the breadcrumbs until evenly coated, then place on the baking tray. Chill the sausages in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil into a large non-stick frying pan and fry the sausages over a medium heat for 10-12 minutes, turning regularly until golden-brown and crisp. Serve the sausages with what you fancy. I chose baked beans!