Take the flavours of the classic comfort food to new heights with this omurice with crab and curry sauce. Omurice is a Japanese favourite consisting of omelette covering a bed of fried rice slathered in sauce. This particular version involves a generous dose of rich and flavourful curry sauce that works perfectly with the fluffy omelette and veg and crab-filled fried rice inside.
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 crabsticks, chopped
- 50g cooked, cold jasmine rice
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp mirin
- 1 cube curry roux
- 150ml hot water
- Chives, chopped
- Fry the onion and mushrooms in a small saucepan over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, crabsticks and soy sauce. Stir until everything is evenly distributed. Remove from the heat.
- Make the curry sauce by mixing the roux with hot water in a mug then microwave for 1-2 minutes until thickened to your liking. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and mirin together in a small bowl.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat. When the pan is hot, pour the eggs into the pan and quickly spread to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Lower the heat and put the fried rice on top of the omelette. Fold both sides of the omelette toward the middle of the rice to cover.
- When the eggs have cooked, cover the frying pan with a plate and carefully flip over to place the omurice on the plate. Serve the curry sauce over the omurice and sprinkle with chopped chives.