- 400g chickpeas
- ½ red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- Small bunch of parsley
- Small bunch of coriander
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tsp each of cumin seeds, fennel seeds, caraway seeds, toasted and ground
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp flour
- Pinch of chilli powder
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until well combined and a paste is formed. You can pulse the mix to keep it a bit chunky if you prefer.
- Shape the mix into balls about the shape of a large walnut.
- It is traditional to fry falafel but I like mine dry fried in a pan. This is also a very healthy way of cooking them. Place the pan over a medium heat and pop the falafel balls in. cook them for about 4-5 minutes or until turning a nice deep brown colour. Flip them and cook the other side in the same way then remove. Can be eaten hot or cold.
These can be made into burgers, stuffed into pitta breads, served with salad, olives, cheeses, dunked into humous or tzatziki, topped with tomato sauce, anything.