If you fancy something a bit special for your breakfast, why not try these eggy crumpets? They’re simple to make but taste delicious and the whole family will love tucking in to them. Top with crispy bacon and maple syrup and you’re set up for the day ahead. I’ve given a recipe for 4 people but you can easily halve, quarter or even double the quantities easily depending on how many you’re feeding… or how many more everyone will want after they’ve got a taste for them. If you can plan ahead and leave your crumpets to soak in the eggy mix for an hour then they’ll be even juicier but they do work well with just a quick dip. If you don’t fancy bacon, how about blueberries warmed in a pan and then poured over the top with maple syrup or a light dusting of icing sugar?
- 8 crumpets
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- Splash of milk
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 4 rashers of streaky bacon
- A small knob of butter
- Maple syrup to serve
- Preheat the grill. Beat together the eggs, milk and spices in a large baking dish. Add the crumpets, letting the egg mixture soak in on one side and then turning over. Set aside.
- Grill your bacon until nice and crispy on both sides.
- Heat the butter in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add the crumpets, four at a time. Sprinkle a touch of salt over the crumpets. Cook for a few minutes on one side until golden and then flip over and repeat.
- Serve two crumpets and a piece of bacon per person with drizzle with maple syrup.