By no means an authentic Chinese recipe, more a ‘can’t-decide-between-what-I-fancy-for-dinner-so-I’ll-incorporate-a-few-of-my-favourite-dishes’ moment, I have mixed the idea of Chinese spring onion pancakes with shredded duck rolls and burritos! Now there’s fusion for you.
This crispy duck wrap dish is a bit hands on but it’s worth it. The luxurious duck legs are roasted and tossed in delicious, aromatic spiced sauce then wrapped in a spring onion pancake blanket and pan-fried until crispy.
For the filling:
- 3 duck leg quarters, roasted
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 star anise
- ½ teaspoon five spice powder
- 2 pieces dried orange or tangerine peel
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 2 Tbsps soy sauce
- 2 Tbsps hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow bean sauce
- 3 spring onions, julienned
For the wrap dough:
- 1 cup plain flour, plus extra flour for rolling
- ¼ cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons chopped spring onions
- Fresh coriander, to garnish
- Shred the roasted duck leg meat discarding the bones and skin. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok over medium high heat and brown the duck meat. Add the anise, five spice, tangerine, pepper, cloves, bay leaves, and garlic. Toast the spices for a minute and add the rice wine, soy, hoisin, and yellow bean sauce. Fry then set aside to cool. You should have a saucy but thick mix. Remove the whole spices. Julienne the spring onions and set aside.
- Make the wrap dough by mixing the flour and hot water. Add the cold water and knead for a couple minutes. Form into a ball, cover in cling film and set aside.
- Separate the dough into 3 equal portions. Roll out the wrap into a 5 by 13-inch rectangle. Brush lightly with sesame oil and spread with some chopped scallion. Fold each end of the dough towards the middle, so that you have three layers. Brush the top with sesame oil and fold in half again. Brush with sesame oil and fold in half for a last time. Roll the dough out into another rectangle, about 6 inches by 10 inches. Place one portion of duck in the middle, along with some julienned spring onion. Fold over like a burrito and make sure everything is sealed.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Fry the wraps until brown and crispy on all sides. Garnish with coriander and serve with steamed greens and dipping sauce of your choice.