A real hearty meal that uses one pan and tastes fantastic. I love cooking dinner in my casserole pan in the oven. All the flavours seem to concentrate and everything cooks evenly into a luxurious dish. This is no exception and incorporates smoky paprika with a sweet tomato and pepper sauce that coats tender chicken pieces.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 400g can plum tomatoes
- 150ml chicken stock
- 1 red or green pepper, deseeded and sliced
- Parsley, chopped
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Sour cream (optional)
- Brown rice and steamed greens to serve
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Cut each chicken breast into 3 or pieces. Heat the olive oil in a cast iron casserole dish over a medium heat. Brown the chicken pieces, seasoning in the process, then remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan and gently fry for 8-10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic for a further minute before adding the flour, paprika and cayenne. Stir well to soak up the pan juices then add the can of plum tomatoes. Stir to combine then add the stock and return the chicken to the pan. Stir everything and bring to a simmer. Add the peppers to the casserole then place the lid on and put in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken has cooked through.
- Check the seasoning and add the parsley about 5 minutes before it is ready. Serve with brown rice and steamed greens such as broccoli, beans or asparagus for a wholesome, tasty meal.
- If using, add the sour cream to the casserole once you have removed it from the oven and swirl it through the sauce. I didn’t use it in the dish pictured as I didn’t have any but I have tried it in the recipe before and it adds a lovely richness.