Crispy burritos filled with juicy Mexican shredded chicken with a rich sauce, Mexican red rice and cheese. These are MADE for freezing – a perfect standby meal! If you aren’t freezing the burritos, feel free to add other things inside such as avocado, fresh salsa, pico de gallo, lettuce and tomato! (These are not suitable for freezing which is why I have served them on the side).
Chicken & Sauce:
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless boneless
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tsp chipotle chilli paste
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp each dried oregano, ground cumin, smoked paprika and garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ red bell pepper / capsicum, diced
- ½ cup tinned black beans
- ½ cup tinned corn kernels
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 tbsp pasatta or chopped tomatoes (from the chicken recipe)
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 8 cherry tomatoes, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Zest and juice of ½ a lime
- Chopped coriander (optional)
- Lime wedges
- Fresh coriander
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- Tortilla wraps
For the shredded chicken:
- Place the chicken & sauce ingredients into a medium saucepan. Simmer covered on medium low for 20 – 30 minutes, turning chicken occasionally, until chicken can be shredded with 2 forks.
- Shred the chicken using 2 forks and set aside. Keep fairly chunky for some nice texture.
- At this point, you can blend the remaining sauce to be really smooth but I like mine a bit chunky.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the shredded chicken in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When starting to brown and crisp slightly, add the sauce a bit at a time until a nice thick shredded chicken sauce is achieved. Add chopped coriander and lime and set aside.
For the rice:
- Combine the Sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix.
- Heat the oil in a pan over high heat. Add garlic and cook for 10 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until the onion becomes translucent – about 2 minutes.
- Add the black beans and corn. Cook for 1 minute just to heat through.
- Add the rice and sauce and stir quickly to coat the rice evenly.
- Season with black pepper. Set aside.
For the guacamole:
- Remove the avocado flesh from the skin. Chop then mash to a lumpy paste. Add all the other ingredients and mix to combine.
- Microwave the tortillas very briefly to warm them up (15 seconds or so). This ensures they don’t crack when you roll them.
- Place 1 tortilla on a workbench – cover the rest with a tea towel to keep them warm.
- Place cheese down the middle of the tortilla, then top with 2 generous spoons of rice and then 2 generous spoons of chicken.
- Roll the burrito up by tucking in two ends then rolling. Wrap in foil to hold it together.
- If you are serving it immediately, heat a dry frying pan over medium heat. Cook the burritos for around 4 to 5 minutes on each side to make the tortilla brown and heat the inside through.
- Serve with the guacamole and fresh salad.
- If freezing, place in the freezer. To reheat, you can either bake from frozen (with foil on) at 180C for about 40 to 45 minutes, or thaw and cook in the skillet per above. You could microwave it (remove the foil) but I like my burritos a bit crispy!