I felt like making cookies today but wanted something more than a standard chocolate chip mix and pistachios and dark chocolate is what I had in the cupboards. It’s a combination that goes really nicely together. The rich dark chocolate and salty roasted nuts are great together in a buttery, chocolate shortbread round. An impressive, tasty bake with minimal effort required – Result!
Makes 12-15 cookies
- 2 cups plain flour
- ¼ cup coarsely ground pistachios
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup 60% dark chocolate chips
- Coarsely ground pistachios, for garnish
- In a large food processor, process the butter and brown sugar.
- Add the egg and egg yolk, processing until combined.
- Add the flour, pistachios, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt, and process once more. Scrape the sides of the processor.
- Place dough mixture into a medium bowl, and add the chocolate chips. Gently combine until evenly distributed.
- With a sufficient piece of parchment paper, wrap the dough into a round log, about 2.5″ in diameter.
- Place in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Cut the cookie dough off the log in even pieces, about .8″ or so apart, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until slightly browned. They will firm up once taken out of the oven.