Yet another basic recipe with store cupboard ingredients that tastes absolutely amazing. Don’t be scared of using lard. It gives a wonderful crisp finish to the bake. I also recommend using almond extract. It works really well with the little buttery bakes which, as their name states, melt away when you bite.
- 1 ½ oz butter or margarine
- 2 ½ oz lard
- 3oz caster sugar
- ½ egg, beaten
- Few drops of vanilla or almond extract
- 5oz self raising flour
- Rolled oats for coating
- 4-5 glace cherries, quartered
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease 2 baking sheets. Cream together the butter or margarine, lard and sugar then gradually beat in the egg and vanilla or almond extract.
- Stir the flour into the beaten mix then roll into 16-20 small balls in your hands.
- Spread the rolled oats on a sheet of greaseproof paper and toss the balls in them to coat evenly
- Place the balls, spaced slightly apart, on the prepared baking sheets. Place a piece of cherry on top of each and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned. Allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.