One of my favourite cakes. I love coffee and I love cake. This is a no frills recipe for a light sponge and creamy coffee icing that is very simple to put together. Enjoy!
- 225 g (8 oz) margarine
- 225 g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 heaped teaspoons instant coffee
- 225 g (8 oz) self raising flour
- 2 level tsp baking powder
For the filling and topping:
- 2oz margarine
- 6oz icing sugar, sifted
- 1 heaped teaspoon instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 tablespoon milk (optional)
- Grease and base line 2 x 20cm (8in) sandwich tins.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the eggs in a large bowl and stir in the coffee until dissolved. Measure the margarine, sugar, flour and baking powder into the egg mix and beat until thoroughly blended. Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and level out.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes or until well risen and the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger. Leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes then turn out, peel off the parchment and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream icing, beat the margarine and coffee until soft and fluffy. Gradually sift in the icing sugar until well combined and add a tablespoon or two of milk to loosen slightly.
- Use half the buttercream to sandwich the two cakes together. Spread the remaining buttercream on top.
Store the cake in an airtight container or tin. Place the cake on the lid to store so that when you open it, the cake is easy to cut and serve. Keeps well for 4-5 days.