Here is a really good recipe to prepare ahead. It can be served hot, warm or cold and packed as a picnic item or plated up with salad or vegetables, potatoes and gravy as a winter warmer.
Play around with the flavourings you like in the sausage mix. Add different sausage meat such as Toulouse, Cumberland or Linconshire. Add fresh herbs, spices, berries, dried fruits, apple, nuts, chestnuts, mustard, bacon… anything!
The addition of lean pork with the sausage makes the plait a little less greasy than a standard sausage roll and takes on the added flavours well.
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 pork sausages of your choice, skinned
- 200g lean pork mince
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 block frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package instructions
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Beat 1 of the eggs and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix remaining egg, sausage, pork mince, bread crumbs, onion, rosemary, fennel and cinnamon with seasoning in a large bowl until well blended.
- Carefully roll the puff pastry out and place on lightly floured work surface. Cut lengthwise into 2 rectangles. Create strips by making 1½-inch long cuts 1 inch apart down both long sides of each pastry rectangle.
- Spoon ½ of the sausage mixture down the centre of each pastry rectangle.
- Dampen the edges of the pastry strips then fold 1 pastry strip at a time over the sausage mixture, alternating sides, overlapping the prior strip to enclose the sausage mixture. Place on the prepared baking tray.
- Lightly brush the braided pastry with the beaten egg and water mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the sausage meat is cooked through. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Cut each pastry into 3 pieces to serve.
- the sausage meat is cooked through. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Cut each pastry into 3 pieces to serve.