After a short break, moving house and no internet connection, I’m back with a baking vengeance bringing you all things tasty!
Who isn’t a fan of squidgy cookies filled with good things? I thought these would be a good start to try out the oven in my new house. I nearly grilled them but got there in the end and was left with soft, gooey chocolate cookies.
You can add any chocolate chips you like. I used a bag of white and a bag of milk chocolate chips. Add nuts if you like too. I think walnuts would be really nice in these. The dark brown sugar is definitely a must here as it gives the cookies an amazing rich treacle flavour.
- 4oz butter or margarine
- 2oz granulated sugar
- 3oz dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ½oz plain flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 6oz chocolate chips
- 2oz walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Cream together the butter or margarine and the two sugars until the mixture is light and fluffy
- Break the egg into the bowl and add the vanilla extract. Beat this into the mix. Sift over the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Stir to blend.
- Add the chocolate chips and walnuts (if using) and mix to combine thoroughly.
- Place heaped teaspoonfuls of dough 2 inches apart on the prepared trays. Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly coloured. Allow to cool for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.