Here is a lovely light, zingy and fresh muffin recipe perfect for a summer treat. These easy orange sponge cupcakes are finished with a crunchy, zesty sugar topping and conceal a lemon curd centre. (Makes 9).
- 200g plain flour
- 140g white caster sugar, plus 1 ½ tbsp
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange (about 85ml juice)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 150g pot plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 9 tsp lemon curd
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan and line a muffin tin with 9 paper cases. Tip the flour, 140g sugar, the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl, and mix together with a fork.
- Stir together ½ tsp orange zest and 1 ½ Tbsp sugar and set aside. Whisk together the orange juice and remaining zest, the oil, vanilla, yogurt and egg with a fork until well blended. Lightly stir into the flour mixture until just combined. Fill the muffin cases about 2/3 full. There will be some mix left over. Put 1 tsp curd in the centre of each and just cover with the remaining muffin mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes until firm and pale golden.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle over the orange sugar. Leave to cool on a wire rack. These will keep for 4 days in the fridge – return to room temperature to serve.