This casserole is so simple to throw together and the oven does all the work. You can add whatever vegetables, beans and herbs you like. You can even change the sausages and sauce flavourings to make it your own. Everything cooks down together to create a really satisfying meal.
- 4 good quality sausages.
- 1 tin of beans (I used butterbeans)
- ½ butternut squash
- 1 large onion
- 1 large carrot
- 5-6 Tbsp Tomato puree, double concentrate
- 500ml hot chicken stock
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 25g red lentils
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Ground black pepper
- Sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and prep all the vegetables how you like. I like my vegetables nice and chunky.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a cast iron pan over a medium high heat. Place the sausages in the pan to colour for a minute or two then remove and set aside.
- Pop your chopped onion, squash, carrot and garlic in and gently sweat the vegetables until just beginning to soften and colour.
- In a separate jug, mix the tomato puree, parsley, oregano, cinnamon, Worcester sauce, cider vinegar, honey and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Mix until it forms a nice paste. Add the stock to the paste and mix to combine. Add this stock paste to the veggies in your dish and mix it until it covers it all evenly. It should look like there is way too much liquid in there. If it doesn’t, add more. Add the lentils and beans.
- Give it a quick mix. Before putting it in the oven, pop the sausages on top and pop the lid on the dish.
- Leave it in the oven for roughly 2 hours. When you take it out, give it a quick stir. It should be a lot thicker in consistency, with the veggies being nice and soft when pricked with a fork. Yum. Squeeze lemon juice over and add more parsley for freshness and it’s done. Serve with bread and butter to mop up the tasty tomato sauce.