Jalfrezi is a curry that involves frying flavoured meat to produce a thick rich sauce. The whole spices provide subtle layers of flavour and the chillies lend warmth to create a really tasty comfort dish.
- 3 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 175ml/6fl oz water
- 1 inch cube ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground ajwain or caraway
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 black cardamons, split
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 Tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 Tbsp tomato purée
- 1-2 fresh green chillies, sliced lengthways, seeded for a milder flavour
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Cut each thigh piece into two. Wash and dry on paper towels.
- Put the chicken in a saucepan, add half the chopped onions with all of the water, ginger, garlic and spices. Bring to the boil, stir and mix thoroughly. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and fry the rest of the onions until they are golden brown. Remove each piece of chicken and add to the onions. Fry over medium heat until the chicken is brown (5 minutes).
- Now add half the spiced liquid in which the chicken was cooked. Stir and fry for 4-5 minutes. Add the rest of the liquid and fry for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Add salt, tomato purée, green chillies and coriander leaves. Stir and fry on low heat for 5-6 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve.