Zesty lemon bars with a fresh and creamy topping and crisp, buttery base. These are so simple to whip up and taste insane. Serve with cream and summer fruits as a dessert or eat on their own with a cuppa. The beautiful zingy lemon cuts through the sweetness of the sugar and the egg and milk create a luxuriously creamy texture against the short, crumbly base.
Makes 16 squares
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ⅓ cups plain flour, sifted
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- ½ cup milk
- Finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 9×9 inch tin. Beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy. Sift in the flour and stir until combined. It will look like crumbs. Press the mix into the base of the tin and bake for 10-15 minutes or until just starting to brown around the edges. Let cool.
- Put eggs, sugar, flour, milk, lemon juice and rind into a bowl and whisk well. Pour over the base. Carefully transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until just set. When cold, cut into squares and dust with icing sugar. Serve with fresh summer berries such as strawberries or raspberries.