Here is a recipe for the simple, honest flapjack. There are tons of variations out there for healthy, this free, that free blah blah blah but these are good old fashioned sweet and sticky flapjacks. My only advice would be to double up the batch and bake in a 9×13 tin as they will not hang around.
- 3oz margarine
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 3oz muscovado sugar
- A pinch of salt (optional)
- 5oz porridge oats
- Lightly foil and grease a 7inch square tin.
- Put margarine and syrup in a saucepan. Heat gently until margarine has melted. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar and salt if using to dissolve and add rolled oats. Mix well.
- Spread mixture evenly into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the centre of an oven preheated to 180C for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes.
- Cut into 4×4 strips. Leave in the tin until cold then break into bars.
Flapjacks improve with keeping. Store in an airtight tin for up to 4 weeks.
- Add 2 rounded teaspoons grated orange zest and 2oz sultanas to the mixture at the end of stage 3. (I made this variation in the flapjacks pictured)
- Top flapjack mixture with 4oz halved glace cherries before baking.
- Replace 1oz of the rolled oats with 1 oz desiccated coconut.