Homemade pizza is so much tastier than shop bought any day of the week. You can tailor make it exactly to your liking, you know exactly what has gone into it, it is so much cheaper and tastes so fresh.
I have even flavoured this particular dough with garlic and thyme.
This recipe yields two pizzas. If you don’t need both bases, roll both out but don’t top one then you can freeze it on a tray and wrap it in clingfilm once frozen. You then have a tasty, homemade pizza base ready to pull out of the freezer for another time.
For the pizza dough:
- 450g strong white bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 x 7g sachets fast action dried yeast
- 300ml warm water
- 2 Tablespoons good olive oil
For the toppings:
- 1 small jar of pizza topping or your favourite marinara sauce
- 75g cheddar cheese, grated
- 25g parmesan, grated
- Your favourite toppings. I used mushrooms and garlic salami
For the pizza dough:
- Place salt, garlic powder, dried thyme and flour into a large bowl. Add the sugar and yeast but do not let the yeast directly contact the salt.
- Pour in the water and olive oil. Mix together with your fingers.
- Work the dough into a soft warm ball then slap it onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until soft and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled, large bowl and lightly oil the dough itself so a crust does not form. Cover the bowl with a plastic bag and leave in a warm place for about an hour until the dough has doubled in size.
To assemble the pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Place two baking trays in the oven while it is heating.
- Knock back the dough and divide it into two. Roll the first half out to fit the tray you will bake it on. Do this on a very well floured surface. Spread half of the pizza topping sauce onto the dough then add half of the cheese. Top with whatever toppings you desire.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
- Transfer the pizzas onto the hot trays and bake for 12-14 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and melted and the crust has lightly browned. Allow the pizzas to cool for a few minute before cutting into slices.