I have a bit of a fascination with cheese and crackers in all forms, shapes and sizes at the moment. These oaty biscuits are crunchy, nutty, crumbly and buttery and go very nicely with pretty much any cheese you like. Feel free to experiment with nuts and seeds or try adding dried herbs or spices to the mix too.
- 50g butter
- 100g medium oatmeal
- 100g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 tsp assorted seeds (I used 2 tsp sunflower seeds and 2 tsp pumpkin seeds)
- Heat oven to 200C. Melt the butter in a large heatproof bowl in the microwave then allow to cool slightly. Tip all the dry ingredients into the bowl, with ½ tsp salt and mix to form a crumbly dough. Add 5-6 tbsp boiling water and combine to make a firm dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface then roll out until about 0.5cm thick. Cut into small squares or rounds, place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden. Leave to cool for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.