This recipe came about after crazily overestimating how many marshmallows I was going to need for toasting over the fire on bonfire night.
I made these rice crispy treats a bit more interesting with the addition of coffee and cookie butter and a few bits of crumbled speculoos biscuits for good measure.
- 10 to 12 speculoos biscuits, crumbled coarsely (I used Lotus Biscoff)
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder (I used Nescafé Azera)
- 12 ounces marshmallows
- 1/2 cup cookie butter (crunchy or smooth, such as Biscoff)
- A pinch of salt (optional)
- Foil and lightly grease a 9×13-inch pan with melted butter; set aside.
- In a large bowl, crush the cookies and add the cereal; set aside.
- Combine the butter and espresso powder in a large saucepan set over medium-low heat. Once the butter has melted, stir in the marshmallows. Stir constantly until the marshmallows are completely melted. Add the cookie butter and salt (if using) and stir until just combined.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cereal mixture until it is evenly coated with the melted marshmallows. Once combined, press the mixture into the prepared pan. (A good tip here is to press the mix in with the back of a lightly oiled tablespoon so things don’t get too sticky). Allow to cool completely before cutting and serving.