These are mini lemon tarts with a creamy filling and a cookie dough case. They are very easy to whip together of you’re not confident at making pastry.
You could put chocolate chips in the cookie dough mix if you like.
For the crust:
- 115g baking margarine
- 100g granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 200g plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
For the lemon filling:
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 60ml whipping cream
- juice and zest from 1 large lemon
- 50g granulated sugar
- 4 Tablespoons icing sugar, divided and sifted
- 120ml whipping cream
- To make the sugar cookie crust, beat the margarine and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat in until fully incorporated. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt all at once and mix just until no spots of flour remain (do not over mix). You should have a soft formed dough. Add more flour if you need to. Wrap the dough in parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Very lightly grease a mini muffin/ petit four tin with margarine.
- While the oven is preheating, make the lemon filling by whisking together the eggs, egg yolks, whipping cream, lemon juice, zest and granulated sugar until smooth.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator. Divide the dough into quarters and divide each quarter into six even balls of dough. Lightly roll them into small circles on a floured surface. Press each ball of dough it into a space in the muffin tin. Using your thumbs, press the dough into the tin so that it is evenly distributed along the sides and bottom. (Don’t worry if it is a bit thinner in some places than others.) Pour the lemon filling into the centre of each sugar cookie cup, stopping just below the top of the crust. If you have made your lemon filling in a bowl, pour it into a measuring jug as this is so much easier to control when filling your cookie cases.
- Bake until the filling is set and the crust begins to turn golden, 10-14 minutes. (Do not over bake – pull the tarts out just when you see any golden colour on the crusts.) Allow these to cool for 10 minutes in the tin then carefully remove to a wire rack to completely at room temperature. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Before serving, dust the tops of the tarts with 2 Tablespoons of icing sugar. Beat the whipping cream with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of sugar until stiff peaks form. Pipe or spoon the whipping cream on top of each tart. Serve chilled.