Using shop-bought cookies for these cupcakes works really well but there’s no reason you can’t go all out, make your own favourite batch of double chocolate cookies and use them instead.
There are cookies in the cake mix, the butter-cream frosting and on top. Cookie overload! But there’s nothing wrong with that.
For the sponge:
- 70g/ 2 ½oz unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 170g/ 6 oz plain flour
- 250g/ 9oz caster sugar
- 50g/ 1 ¾oz cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 210ml/ 7 ½fl oz whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 12-16 double chocolate cookies (I used Maryland)
For the frosting:
- 500g/ 1lb 2oz icing sugar, sifted
- 160g/ 5 ½oz unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 60ml/ 2fl oz whole milk
- 8 double chocolate cookies, crushed into small pieces and crumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line deep muffin tins with paper muffin cases to make the number you require.
- To make the sponge, beat the butter/margarine, flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together with a hand-held electric whisk until everything forms a crumb-like consistency.
- In a jug, mix together the milk and eggs.
- With the whisks on a slow speed, gradually pour half of the liquid into the crumb mixture and mix thoroughly until well combined. Raise the speed of the whisks and beat very well until the batter is smooth and thick and lump free. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the remaining liquid and incorporate until well combined and smooth.
- Spoon or pipe the batter into the prepared cases, filling them two-thirds full.
- Break each cookie into quarters and place four pieces into each unbaked cupcake.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the sponge bounces back when lightly touched. Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tin and onto wire racks. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, gradually mix the icing sugar and butter/margarine together using the hand-held electric whisk until well combined. Gradually pour the milk into the frosting. When incorporated, turn the whisks to a high speed and mix well until light and fluffy. Add the double chocolate cookie crumbs and mix well until evenly distributed through the frosting.
- Spoon a generous amount of frosting onto each cupcake, smooth over the cake and decorate with more crushed cookie crumbs if desired.
This recipe makes 12-16 cupcakes. Again, I used two-thirds of the amount of each ingredient listed for the frosting and found this was plenty.
Be careful when filling your muffin cases not to overfill them as the batter level will rise when you put the cookie chunks in the mix and you don’t want it spilling over the cases in the oven.